Friday, April 24, 2020

Making Music @ home


Hello happy Crafters

Thank you for joining me today.

I thought I would share a project with you that you can make at home. I know 
some may feel a little down due to being indoors for so long and the weather 
being so lovely outside here in the UK. But to lift your spirits and bring a little 
joy lets make music:



Try different mediums and please share it with us.

#stayhome
#makemusicstayhome

I have a large file where I keep images of crafting ideas, so when I need some 
inspiration or ideas on crafting and additional techniques I can brush up on or 
try out, I go to my file.

I saw this beautifully decorated mixed media Violin, and of course I did not have 
one so I decided to make one. And what does one do if you need to learn to make 
something – You hop onto YouTube. I found a video on how to make a violin using 
carton – what you really need is just the template actually, so I have attached one for 
you to use – easy peesy.


Download/save and make it the size you want. 

Violin process:

Using the template, cut out the carton pieces you need – you could use cardstock, 
foamcore or paper. For the sides, I cut strips of carton based on how thick I wanted 
the violin to be. Give the strips of carton a slight roll so it breaks the fibers a little. 
This will make it easier to follow the turns of the top and base of the violin carton 
pieces. Glue the pieces together – I used a glue gun – its quicker. But any good quick 
dry adhesive will do.




I used my usual glue and water mix (1:1) and decoupage the carton project with 
kitchen paper roll. Remember, you can use tissue paper, cigarette papers, lace etc. 
what ever you have handy. You don’t really need to do this step, but I think it seals 
it up nicely and makes it harder.






Once the violin is dry - Of course I can’t wait for it dry naturally so I used a heat gun 
to speed up the process - coat it with Gesso or acrylic paint.  

I used some scrap pieces of paper, torn into strips and glued these down. you can use 
the same glue mix, mod podge or gel medium.



I added some stencilling using the Prima Designer tile stencil and added some crackle
paste. 


Mixed Media Process:

These are the products I used.

#colorglow
#13arts
#nuvo
#Tonicstudio


First I found some embellishments and some tags and decided on a layout (make 
sure the Violin is dry and ready for the next steps)



Of course my favourite creature is the Butterfly and I always try and stick one in 
somewhere - so delicate, free and beautiful. I wanted to definitely add this feature 
in my project as I saw the Morethanwords April Challenge and had to join in as I 
love the theme. I also wanted to create a project that you could make and feel joy 
in it everyday when you see the beauty you have created. 



I added some flowers to my temporary layout - Definitely needed these as we are in 
spring and celebrating nature. I adjusted and added and removed my embellishments
until I was happy. I took a photo so I would remember how I wanted my goodies.

I removed the flowers and the tag and adhered all the other embellishments. Then
we start creating. I sprinkled "a little bit of that and a little bit of this" of the 13@rts
color glow, add some squirts of water and let the magic begin. 



I love the shimmer the Colorglow gives. You can use Lindy Starburst sprays/magicals
as well or shimmer acrylic paint. Water down the acrylic paint and add it with a paint
brush, if necessary add a little squirt of water to mingle it on the project. 

Dry with heat gun - not too close :)

I add some extra colour where I need to and remove a little with a wet wipe. 

Once the inks were dry, I used my finger and some white Gesso to highlight the 
stencilling and embellishments. Do sections at a time and dry the Gesso as you finish. 
This prevents the Gesso from mixing with the ink and keeps it white.


I then added my take and flowers. I inked the edges of the violin with black ink
and brushed the dauber over the flowers as well to highlight the edges. I also
painted a few of the embellishments with silver. 

Here are a few more photos: 







I have entered this creation into the More than Words April challenge. 
Please click on the image below for the link to the competition and some 
wonderful inspiration.

 More than words April challenge

Thank you for joining me and I hope you feel inspired to make your own music

Take care and stay safe 

Loves Candace 











































8 comments:

  1. Wow this is a lot off work!! You did a great job! Thanks for playing along with MTW>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Amazing project. I too love music. I really appreciate the time you put in to creating this beautiful violin. Thanks for joining us at More Than Words Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! What an amazing project! I love that you made the violin from scratch and shared the proecss with us. It's great to see you at More Than Words this month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic idea for our challenge. Thank you for joining us in the More Than Words challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Candance!! What an amaizing violin you've created!! I love everything on it! Thank you so much for join us at MTW and bring this wonderful idea!! xoxo Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing project!😍 Thanks from MTW Challenge! Yulia:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful I like it very much, very nice Thank you so much for joining us at MTW

    ReplyDelete
  8. So creative! Thanks for joining us at More Than Words ~ Elle xx

    ReplyDelete