Friday, April 10, 2020

Vintage Book Box

Hello Happy Crafters.

I hope you are all well and safe and using your time at home to craft, craft, craft😁

Just a big thank you to all our Frontline staff in the UK which inlude the NHS, bus drivers,
prison officials, waste collectors and all the guys and gals that put so much work into ensuring our shops are stocked and to so many hidden gems we forget are out there making sure the country
is still going and keeping us safe.



Today I am sharing a tutorial I found to make a book box and how I decorated my creation.

This was so much fun and anyone can do it, great to get the youngers involved to create
and keep their photos and keepsakes of the fun at home 😜

#infusions
#paperartsy

#13arts
#13@rts
#colorglow

#modpodge
#13@rts
#gesso
#decoartmedia
#crackleglaze


I have taken a photo of the products I used for reference and wow they are awesome.

First I am going to share the video tutorial with you to make the book box (and I am sure many
of you have cartons at home from all the home deliveries :))
Then I will share my steps with you on how I decorated it and then lastly I entered this
into two competitions as I was inspired by both and these details will be listed at the end.


Video Tutorial



Process:

I created the Book box using the method in the tutorial above but I wanted to try
something different with the "cover" of the book.



I used white airdry clay to create the peeling of the edges and the few lumps
on the cover. I took some clay and rolled it flat and as thin as possible, then lay it
on the cover (used Mod Podge to glue it in place, you can use gel medium or glue).
 I cut the clay into a square and lay it from the corner to the fit the edge of the cover,
I then rolled it over to creat the lifted corner.
I used a little water and my finger to smooth the inside of the square to
blend it as smooth as possible into the cover. I added a few more folded corners and
rippled edges. I left it to dry for a few hours - in the meantime.




I printed the "Bird" picture on tissue paper - I cut a piece of tissue paper a little
smaller than an A4 page. I used tape to stick it to the A4 printing paper and printed
the image on my inkjet printer. I printed the picture the size of the cover. I wanted
the image to curl under the curled edges as well.
I left it for a few minutes to ensure the ink was dry.




I then used Mod Podge matte to adhere the tissue paper to the cover. This allows the
background texture to come through and make it vintage.

I used Infusions and 13arts Color Glow to mix the colour of the outside and inside of
the book box. I tried to match it as close as possible to the Greenish blue of the cover.
I mixed the Dye powders with 13@rts White gesso.


I used these two Color Glows with water to create the colour to stain the "pages".



I used brown acryllic paint to paint the undercover where the cover had "lifted"

I then added DecoArt Crackle glaze by the areas where the cover has curled up.
I left this to dry.

I stamped my quote on Tissue paper and heat dried, I used mod podge to adhere to the
inside of the book cover.


Once the crackle glaze was dry, I used Black gesso mixed with a little water and
painted this over the crackle to fill the cracks, I then used a wet wipe away the
excess paint.

Here are a few close ups:





A few extra:









I have entered my project into two challenges - click on the image to be taken to the challenge:

 13@rts april Challenge #89
"I invite you to join me to the moodboard challange of april 🥰 i was inspired by the walk in the nature. It was a day with not much of a sunlight, but there is already spring awakening outside, which already gives warm tones and a bit of green shade of nature."
-Andra

I loved the colours of this mood board and found it inspiring - Nature and natural and I
wanted to make something vintage.

morethanwordschallenge.april-2020-main-challenge-everyday-bugs.html
Word Inspiration - EVERYDAY
Creative Challenge - BUGS AND BIRDS

Nature is very soothing and healing, and this month 
we are encouraging you to immerse yourself in it!

This challenge crossed over the 13@rts challenge and I had an image with a bird that
I wanted to use but I did not know when or how and this challenge inspired me to use
the image on the cover of my book box and also try different techniques (tissue paper,
print on tissue paper, decoupage and Mod podge - I usually use gel medium).

My quote I used was a stamp that I love - it pretty much says everything positive and to enjoy
life. I added "Everyday" because you should practice this everyday.


Thank you for joining me today and I hope you feel inspired to create something of your own.

Stay safe and stay home.

Loves
Candace






16 comments:

  1. OH this is sensational! I love how you created this with the curled up edges. It's great that you could join us at More Than Words this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever idea using a box book. It looks beautiful. Thank you for joining us in the More Than Words challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see how you make the book!! Thanks for playing along with MTW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow Candance!! Love this box, the process is awesome, great idea the clay! And the quote is just perfect!! Thank you for join us at MTW xoxo Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great!Love it!
    Thanks from MTW for participating in our challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very clever! Love how the clay creates lifted book edges! So glad you enjoyed the Color Glows. Aren't they wonderful?' Thanks for playing along with the April challenge at 13 Arts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! I love the distressing. Thanks for joining us at More Than Words Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your work Candance!! Loved the vintage effect you created and the use of clay here. Thanks for joining us at MTW challenge ths month.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for playing along with us at More Than Words challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic project!! ♥
    Thank you so much for playing along with More Than Words

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! It looks amazing!
    Thanks for joining MTW challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love doing projects like this, and yes I have a lot of empty cardboard boxes atm lol. Love what you did getting the clay rolled out so thin too. This is a strange time for us all, and this lockdown is hopefully a time we can spend being more positive and creative. Thanks for joining us at More Than Words ~ Elle xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a wonderful transformation!! I love your use of color glow..they are so awesome right. Thank you so much for joining us at MTW and 13arts. Stay safe xoxo Heike

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely amazing, a different project I like it very nice Thank you so much for joining us at MTW

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! Thank you for playing with us at the 13@rts challenge!

    ReplyDelete